Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cheaper by the Dozen(s)

Today was the beginning of the next step in our process. Egg retrieval day! I woke up this morning feeling crappy. My tummy was full of ready to be extracted follicles. We went in at 10 AM to get prepped and ready. They gave me some good narcotics and I was out like a light. The medication the anesthesiologist basically puts you to sleep, but you breathe on your own. When I woke up I remember hearing that they extracted 41 eggs! 41!!!!!!

The average number of eggs retrieved during this procedure depends upon the person, however my research online suggests its about 10-12. I produced 4 times as many! It definitely gives the lab a lot to work with, but it also puts me at risk for Ovarian Hyper stimulation.  I will have to monitor myself over the next few days to make sure that doesn't happen. Lets just say there is a lot more room in my belly and boy do I feel better!

The only tough part of the day was recovering from the anesthesia. I was a bit wobbly due to my blood pressure going up and down, however, after some ginger ale and crackers in my belly. I felt much better.

Overall today was a great day! My husband was a huge support and we had a lot of laughs about me being referred as "the girl with all the eggs" LOL No seriously....that's how the lab referred to me!

IVF is a very expensive process, especially the medication. I would definitely say we got our moneys worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment